Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What are your thoughts......


I need help!
Please tell me what your thoughts are regarding....
trick or treating teenagers.

I realize that most of my blog readers have
young children but I value your opinion.

I've been threatening Dan for the last few years
about banning trick or treating.
Every year I break down and let him go.

This year, I want to stick to my decision,
after all,
he IS a freshman in high school.

FYI - We only have 11 houses on our street so he usually goes
to a friend's house in a neighborhood in town
where there are a lot more houses.

Help! Please!
What do you think?

1. friends
2. advil
3. falling gas prices

9 comments:

Marcy said...

I hear you on this one. I'm anxious to see what others write. Alyssa has told me for the past 4 years that "this is her last year". Then every year she begs to go. It's a little different with her though becuase she has (and probably always will have) the mentality of about a 10 year old. So I give in and let her go. Last year Hayden (age 11) didn't want to go and stayed home to hand out candy with Dad. I don't know if he thought he was too big or just didn't want to go with Mom and little brother. This year he is up in the air. I think he missed the candy!
I don't think I'm helping much with this novel I'm writing. I will say that I don't mind when teenagers come to my door, as long as they are polite and not obnoxious. Who could be more polite than Dan??? I would love him to come to my door!!

smart mama said...

I have no problem with teeangers as long as 1. they are polite 2. they don't trample smaller children 3. they don't come too late 4. they don't wear really gruesome costumes that scare little kids

smart mama said...

another good trick is to chaperone smaller kids- then people think you're extra nice and give you extra candy

LL said...

Yes. I have to agree with both of these wise women. I am great with older kids going out, as long as they're polite and don't run over the little ones.
Heck, If I didn't have to take my kids out, I might still be going door to door. WHO doesn't want free candy :)

Becca said...

I don't really like older teens trick-or-treating at my door, especially when they come late (any time after 9:00). However, I went trick-or-treating my freshman year with a friend and his little sister so I'm not one to talk. Does Danny have a friend with a young sibling he could go with?

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else and the time will come very soon when Daniel will not want to go out. Unfortunately you only get to be a kid once so let him get the most out of it while he can. I also like the idea of chaperoning a younger child. Then no one will really give it a second thought.

Smilin' sunshine said...

Braden has not gone since he was in 6th grade, that was his last year.

We felt that once they no longer celebrated in school, they were too old to go trick or treating.

This will be Brandon's last year. They get excited to stay home and pass out candy!

I am not a fan of teenagers, I feel it is for younger kids!

Jamie said...

Nanci, I'm one of those mean moms that gets annoyed with older trick or treaters. So I would vote no. Teenagers probably make great candy passer outers. Remember though that I am known as mean to most kids that know me. Some people even call me "strick" in Katie's words.

Becky said...

i really don't have an opinion because i am just getting to that point - where my kids are too old to be going. (13?) i think as long as older kids are polite, etc. it's okay.