shopping and a movie.
For the last few years the Sutton school district has conveniently arranged teacher development days in conjunction with a three day weekend. So, Dan had no school on both Monday AND Tuesday.
We started our fun day Monday by letting Dan sleep in (when I went to wake him up he was already awake and reading Brisingr - the third book in the Eragon series. I've had to threaten to take the book away so that he will get other things done (such as homework, instrument practice, eat, etc...).
Next was a trip to drop Fred off at Logan airport for his monthly business trip to TX. On the way home we stopped to do some shopping.
At JoAnn's Fabric we chose fabric for some upcoming sewing projects and after exploring the fabric section Dan decided on some fake fur for a future project he has in mind.
From there it was on to the Christmas Tree Shops. Of course we had to cover every inch of the store because you never know what is around the next corner. We found all kinds of great little purchases.
We loaded our bags into the trunk and I told Dan we had one more stop to make. He had seen a sales flyer for Building 19 and I couldn't remember that Dan had ever been there so that was the next stop. It's been a few years since I was there so, again, we had to explore every nook and cranny. Found a few interesting items but left feeling dusty and dirty - now I remember why I don't go there very often.
Dinner from the dollar menu at Burger King then home for FHE where we discussed two talks from General Conference.
Our second fun day was movie day. When Sutton started scheduling these four day weekends we started the tradition of using the extra day to attend a matinee at the movies. Many times we're the only ones in the theater. One time, everyone that was there was from Sutton!
We started by both sleeping in (Dan longer than I). While I researched movies he finished his homework. Those of you that know Fred and I know we're very fussy about the content of the movies we watch. Obviously we won't see R rated movies and very rarely do we see PG-13 movies (Dan still hasn't seen the last 2 Harry Potter movies!). With Dan's input we chose to see "City of Ember". I haven't seen any ads for this movie but when I checked the content I was pleased to find that it had no foul language, no sex, and minimal violence. It did have a few action scenes (one involving a large rodent, yuck!). The movie was pretty good, we've decided that we need to read the book(s).
Then it was back home to bake dessert for a meeting I was headed off to for the evening. Dan spent the evening planning his sewing project and reading (of course!).
We started our fun day Monday by letting Dan sleep in (when I went to wake him up he was already awake and reading Brisingr - the third book in the Eragon series. I've had to threaten to take the book away so that he will get other things done (such as homework, instrument practice, eat, etc...).
Next was a trip to drop Fred off at Logan airport for his monthly business trip to TX. On the way home we stopped to do some shopping.
At JoAnn's Fabric we chose fabric for some upcoming sewing projects and after exploring the fabric section Dan decided on some fake fur for a future project he has in mind.
From there it was on to the Christmas Tree Shops. Of course we had to cover every inch of the store because you never know what is around the next corner. We found all kinds of great little purchases.
We loaded our bags into the trunk and I told Dan we had one more stop to make. He had seen a sales flyer for Building 19 and I couldn't remember that Dan had ever been there so that was the next stop. It's been a few years since I was there so, again, we had to explore every nook and cranny. Found a few interesting items but left feeling dusty and dirty - now I remember why I don't go there very often.
Dinner from the dollar menu at Burger King then home for FHE where we discussed two talks from General Conference.
Our second fun day was movie day. When Sutton started scheduling these four day weekends we started the tradition of using the extra day to attend a matinee at the movies. Many times we're the only ones in the theater. One time, everyone that was there was from Sutton!
We started by both sleeping in (Dan longer than I). While I researched movies he finished his homework. Those of you that know Fred and I know we're very fussy about the content of the movies we watch. Obviously we won't see R rated movies and very rarely do we see PG-13 movies (Dan still hasn't seen the last 2 Harry Potter movies!). With Dan's input we chose to see "City of Ember". I haven't seen any ads for this movie but when I checked the content I was pleased to find that it had no foul language, no sex, and minimal violence. It did have a few action scenes (one involving a large rodent, yuck!). The movie was pretty good, we've decided that we need to read the book(s).
Then it was back home to bake dessert for a meeting I was headed off to for the evening. Dan spent the evening planning his sewing project and reading (of course!).
1. shopping for fun
2. entertaining movies
3. sleeping in
2. entertaining movies
3. sleeping in
6 comments:
sounds FUN!!! i love that he'll shop with you.
That mini scrapbook kit I got for $3 at the Christmas Tree Shops was one of the best purchases I ever made. I wish I had a few more! (I used the first one to make a month-to-month scrapbook of James' milestones during his first year.)
We are intrigued by City of Ember. I didn't know there was a book (even though there usually is). I'll have to get those first.
Nanci,
This is Jocelyn's mom. Thanks for commenting on my blog. If there is anything I can do for your son in the MTC let me know. I could send him a treat for FREE. Does he have a favorite candy bar. I'm so excited for their adventure. If you would like to email me: lunc277@alpine.k12.ut.us
We are having fall break too!
I have read the City of Ember. Enjoyed it. Want to see the movie.
you're days off sounded more fun than mine - I was stuck in the hospital. Ohwell. Thanks for the movie review, we too are picky about movies. Glad you had a great time, I SO wish we had a Christmas Tree shop up here...I LOVE that store.
I'm with you on Building 19. Its kind of dark and depressing. Oh Christmas Tree Shops, I miss you. How nice to have a son to shop with--all day.
Post a Comment