Last night I was blessed to be able to attend a wonderful Relief Society activity. Relief Society is the woman's organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Twenty two women shared a delicious meal of soup and salad then we labeled and packaged about 400 childrens' books to be donated to a local shelter. Following that we watched the broadcast of the General Relief Society meeting from Salt Lake City. We received counsel, guidance and love from four of our general church leaders. In light of this wonderful time, I have chosen to share a hymn that sums up our role as women in the church.
As Sisters in Zion # 309
1. As sisters in Zion, we’ll all work together;
The blessings of God on our labors we’ll seek.
We’ll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We’ll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.
The blessings of God on our labors we’ll seek.
We’ll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We’ll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.
2. The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity’s name.
3. How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit’s divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.
Text: Emily H. Woodmansee, 1836–1906
Music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938. © 1985 IRI



3 comments:
that was such a WONDERFul activity, I couldn't believe how many books we received. Good work!
Never underestimate the power of good women. We'll know next time to bring plenty of sharpies.
I'm so sorry I missed it! That sounds like a great turn out-especially with the books. WOW!!!
I LOVE that song. and really enjoyed the meeting last week. I thought the book donation was SUCH a great idea.
Post a Comment