Sunday, September 14, 2008

SUNDAY SONGS

Today's hymn is special to me for many reasons. First of all, it reminds me of my childhood. This is the song that they used to play on the old Davey and Goliath television show. One of the few tv programs I was allowed to watch as a young child. Maybe because it reminds me of my childhood is the reason it is very comforting to me. I find comfort in the familiar rhythm and harmony of the music. I also love the imagery the lyrics bring to mind. I can feel the strength and love of our Heavenly Father as I listen to or sing this hymn.

# 68 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

A mighty fortress is our God,
A tower of strength ne’er failing.
A helper mighty is our God,
O’er ills of life prevailing.
He overcometh all.
He saveth from the Fall.
His might and pow’r are great.
He all things did create.
And he shall reign for evermore.

Text: Martin Luther, 1483–1546, adapted
Music: Attr. to Martin Luther

2 Samuel 22:2–3

Psalm 18:1–2

1. time with friends
2. time with family
3. childhood memories


No comments: