Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday Songs

I've decided to start a new Sunday blog post. Each Sunday I'll feature one of my favorite hymns with thoughts about why it's special to me. Please feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts about the hymn.

My first choice is one of the few hymns in our hymnal entirely written as if Jesus Christ is speaking directly to us. The visual description of our Savior's suffering and pleading for us is especially moving. I frequently turn to this hymn and read slowly through it as I wait for the Sacrament to be passed. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

#185 Reverently and Meekly Now

1. Rev’rently and meekly now,
Let thy head most humbly bow.
Think of me, thou ransomed one;
Think what I for thee have done.
With my blood that dripped like rain,
Sweat in agony of pain,
With my body on the tree
I have ransomed even thee.

2. In this bread now blest for thee,
Emblem of my body see;
In this water or this wine,
Emblem of my blood divine.
Oh, remember what was done
That the sinner might be won.
On the cross of Calvary
I have suffered death for thee.

3. Bid thine heart all strife to cease;
With thy brethren be at peace.
Oh, forgive as thou wouldst be
E’en forgiven now by me.
In the solemn faith of prayer
Cast upon me all thy care,
And my Spirit’s grace shall be
Like a fountain unto thee.

4. At the throne I intercede;
For thee ever do I plead.
I have loved thee as thy friend,
With a love that cannot end.
Be obedient, I implore,
Prayerful, watchful evermore,
And be constant unto me,
That thy Savior I may be.

Text: Joseph L. Townsend, 1849–1942

Music: Ebenezer Beesley, 1840–1906

D&C 45:3–5

D&C 19:16–19

1. beautiful music
2. an almost full house
3. cool mornings





1 comment:

julie said...

nanci,
thank you for sharing your thoughts on this beautiful hymn. it has long been one of my very favorites. i too often read it during the Sacrament, and the fact that it is written as if Jesus were talking to us makes it perfect for keeping my thoughts where they should be during this time. it truly touches my heart and mind every time. the power of beautiful hymns to affect us is almost unbelievable. i love this idea of yours to highlight a hymn each week. can't wait to read more.