Sunday, August 31, 2008

SUNDAY SONGS

FAITH OF OUR FATHERS

As I've been thinking about which hymn to post today I've been directed by some feelings and thoughts that have come to me over the last few weeks during recent vacation activities and Sunday church lessons. Due to the dedication of those that have lived before us we have our freedom here in the United States of America. Because of the freedom we enjoy today we are able to live the gospel principles we know to be true and we are also able to share those truths with those we come into contact with each day. I'm grateful for all of the many people that have fought for our freedom throughout the ages. May I continue to be faithful as one way to honor those that fought so valiantly for our freedom.

#84 Faith of Our Fathers

1. Faith of our fathers, living still
In spite of dungeon, fire, and sword;
Oh, how our hearts beat high with joy
Whene’er we hear that glorious word.

[Chorus]
Faith of our fathers, holy faith,
We will be true to thee till death!

2. Faith of our fathers, we will strive
To win all nations unto thee,
And thru the truth that comes from God,
Mankind shall then be truly free.

3. Faith of our fathers, we will love
Both friend and foe in all our strife,
And preach thee, too, as love knows how,
By kindly words and virtuous life.

Text: Frederick W. Faber, 1814–1863

Music: Henri F. Hemy, 1818–1888; refrain, James G. Walton, 1821–1905

1 Timothy 6:12

Jude 1:3

1. faith-promoting songs
2. homemade bread
3. opportunities for service




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought you might enjoy this information about the Hymn. It was written by a man that converted from the Church of England to Roman Catholic. It was written in hope that England might be restored to Catholicism. This hymn is in almost all the Protestant Hymns and this hymn wasn't added into our hymn book until 1985.

I think that it is cool that a hymn that was written for another purpose can mean so much to our church like it was written specifically by a member. For all I know the guy is a member now but it is still cool that we have so many freedoms and we can enjoy the faith of our fathers.