Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Vermeer

Well, we've had a lot going on around our house over the past week. On Wednesday, Sept. 26 we had a sprinkler system installed throughout the yard. What was supposed to be a short, one day job turned into a full day and a half of work. And of course it was on the hottest day we've had in over a month! The most exciting thing about the work being done was the machine that was used to dig the trenches for the underground pipe work. Daniel came home from school and asked "What IS that THING in the yard? It looks like an alligator!" So of course, the next morning I had to ask the workers about it, thinking it would have some cool nickname but alas it's just called "the vermeer" (which is the name on the side of the machine). While Melissa and I were adding pictures of Adam to her computer early in the day, "the vermeer" was started! Now, I have never been through an earthquake but I can imagine that this must have been at least a 2 or 3 on the Richter scale. The whole house shook, while this very loud noise filled the air and Melissa and I almost ran for cover. Looking out the window I expected to see a huge hole in the ground, boy was I surprised! Behind this huge, growling machine was this neat, thin, little trench about 2 inches wide. Lest you don't believe me about this machine, I've included a couple of pictures. What do you think it looks like?

No comments: