Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Longfellow's Wayside Inn

For dinner on Monday evening we went to Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA. For those of you that don't know, American poet, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow made the inn famous when he stayed there and penned the stories included in "Tales of a Wayside Inn". The Inn is America's oldest operating inn. You can eat in one of the dining rooms or stay overnight in one of ten guestrooms.

The Wayside Inn Gristmill is an early American reproduction built by Henry Ford in 1929. Corn and wheat are stone-ground at this mill into meal and flour then used in the Inn's bake shop.


Seeing these large millstones gave new insight to the phrase "wearing a millstone around one's neck". It would truly be a hindrance to one's abilities.


We had a great time eating and spending time in this historic place.

1 comment:

Jon Becca James said...

wow, now I want to get a copy of Longfellow's Tales of the Wayside Inn. I don't recall ever reading it. The Inn looks like it would be a lot of fun to stay at. maybe at Christmas time?

Thanks for putting up some new posts, Mom. I was starting to think you abandoned your blog . . . I am so glad you were able to have fun with Mely there. I miss that girl. Has she already left for Utah? shucks, I miss Utah too. Though if we moved back now I'd probably miss Missouri. Maybe. Give it another six months and then I'd probably miss it. Maybe.

Love,
Becca