Sunday, November 28, 2010

A trip to the tree farm.....

Tradition is that we cut down our Christmas tree on Thanksgiving weekend.  Saturday found us at our favorite tree farm - Star of the East, in Sutton, MA.


We usually ride the wagon out to the trees but you can walk if you want to.


Here is the view from the top of the hill.  This is only one small section of the 65 acres of trees.


Ahh, look at those beautiful rows of trees!  
How will we ever choose the right one?


A view of the pond.


We think we found our tree.  After measuring and checking for sparse areas comes the most important test of all, the smell test.  It has become known that no tree can be selected until it passes the Nanci sniff test.  Some trees just don't have that "Christmas smell".  This year we chose a Concolor fir instead of our usual Fraser fir.  It passed the sniff test without any problem!

Dad starts to cut, Dan steadies the tree and my job is to take pictures.


Dan finishes cutting down the tree.


The tree gets shaked and baled and loaded into the van.


Dad and Dan bringing it through the back door.


Dan likes being underneath the tree.


Ornaments to come later........


2 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

Pretty! Glad you are back!

Marcy said...

I LOVE the smell of real trees. I wish I could put up with the mess of one. I light lots of pine candles, but it just isn't the same!